Happy Monday: The First Penguin

I’ll never forget the late Professor Randy Pausch talk about his “First Penguin Award”, which he gave to students in his virtual reality class for daring to do something bold and risky with their group projects.

Penguins, we all know, are cute and lovable critters, but they're also quite the tasty treat for the leopard seals who hide stealthily beneath the surface of Antarctica's frigid waters. The seals lurk, happily waiting for their meal to take the plunge.

The first penguin risks life and limb to keep his rookery safe. And while his valiant exploits may not always end happily, the first penguin's work and sacrifice helps ensure the survival of his kind.

Fortunately for us, we don't operate in this frozen and inhospitable world, but in the world of business, it sure can seem like it.

The seals are there, lurking in the form of economic upheaval, fast-paced technological disrruption, and growing competitive and commoditization pressures.

Professor Pausch understood the importance of encouraging the brave and the bold. Although their pioneering efforts sometimes fell flat, it was okay. They were trying to push the bar higher for everyone’s sake.

They weren't just playing it safe, they were trying to do something new and different. They were hypothesizing and experimenting. They were testing possibilities. They were contributing.

That's leadership.

Learning to make mistakes, and learning to learn from those mistakes.

You should strive to be that first penguin and you should encourage and reward the other first penguins around you.

Ask yourself, what risks am I taking in my career and in my business? What new initiatives, products or services am I launching and testing (and re-launching if necessary)? How am I pushing to add value to all stakeholders. Am I leading my industry, my customers, my vendors, my co-workers, or are am I just playing it safe?

What’s stopping you from making something truly meaningful happen?

Fear?

Ok, but remember that playing it safe may be the most dangerous and fiercest seal of all.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment