Why I love Small Businesses

Courtesy of smil on Flickr
What small or micro-businesses lack in size they make up in heart. They're a BIG deal to me.

When I see a kids fashion boutique, or a cute little cafe, or a family owned bakery, I don't merely see a retail space, I see the physical manifestation of somebody's dreams, hopes and aspirations. I see love at work.

That's because it takes a lot of courage and tender loving care to start and run a small business successfully, and to nurture it through its phases of growth.

And often, that love pays off big for all of us.

Many small businesses don't stay small for long. As they grow, they likewise help drive growth in our economy. They create jobs and opportunities for millions of people. And they sometimes introduce innovations and technologies that are dramatically transformative.

Witness the huge impact of once tiny companies like Microsoft, Apple, Google, Nike and Facebook. We're talking about companies that were hatched in garages and dorm rooms!

But what I love most about small businesses, firms with about 75 employees or less, is that they're still imbued with the DNA of the founder. The original passion, and drive, and love that it took to grow is still on display. The organizational culture is still malleable and great employees have a significant say in plotting the course and steering the ship.

That's why I feel lucky to be able to work with many of these great companies throughout Miami and Latin America. Helping them grow is the best part of my job!

No comments:

Post a Comment