Marathons and Pushing Beyond Your Comfort Zone

I was supposed to run the Marine Corps Marathon last October but a bout with tendonitis kept me from achieving my goal. Today I registered again and I'm back in training! I'm very excited!

Of course, lots of people think that running marathons is pretty darn nutty. They can't even begin to understand why anybody would want to put their bodies through the considerable stress and pain that accompanies covering the 26.2 mile distance.

Well, I like that it's hard.

Running marathons requires focus, commitment, planning, and discipline-- precisely the ingredients that contribute to success in any endeavor.

And I tend to think of marathons as a metaphor for the challenges we all face in our lives. It takes guts to reach for ambitious goals but running a marathon teaches you that hard work and commitment are always rewarded. The unsavory alternative is to stay in our comfort zones and never test the limits of what's possible, or what we're capable of.

Marathons remind me that big, audacious goals aren't achieved overnight. They require preparation and a commitment to working hard every day.

But it's not all serious. It's also fun to be active. You may struggle at first but with every passing day your fitness level increases and running becomes more enjoyable.

That's the way it is with most things, isn't it? They're hard at first but easier (and more fun) as time goes by.

And maybe running isn't your cup of tea, but I'm sure there's something out there that you want to do but you're not doing it because it lies outside your comfort zone. Commit to it. Practice a little every day. Make a plan and work it.

You'll be amazed at what you're able to do.

See you at the finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment