The King's Speech

In case you haven't seen King's Speech, I recommend you run to the nearest theater and go check it out.

Not merely because it just won an Oscar for Best Picture, or because Colin Firth's performance as King George VI is sublime, but rather because there's a HUGE message about courage, conviction and overcoming the fears that hold you back.

The King's Speech is the story of Prince Albert Duke of York's ascent to the throne in 1936, on the eve of the horrible 2nd World War.

People were worried.

Prince Albert was brave, dutiful and brimming with patriotic conviction. He was perfectly fit to be king, save for one GINORMOUS flaw: he was a horrible stammerer and just about the worst public speaker anyone ever saw.

Prince Albert simply dreaded speaking in public. In the movie, you can see the life drain from his very soul at the mere sight of a microphone. 

And part of the movie's raw power is that we can all relate in varying degrees to the Prince's fear. People say they fear public speaking more than death itself!

But there's a problem with that. If you want to make a greater contribution; if you want to make a greater impact and make more of a "dent in the universe" you're going to have to face this, or any other fear, and master it.

I've learned this lesson firsthand.

When I was a kid I had a pretty bad speech impediment. I spoke too fast. I blurred my words. I stuttered mildly. They sent me to speech therapy sessions a couple of times a week.

But that wasn't all. I used to have a horrible fear of public speaking. And it wasn't those cute little butterflies in your stomach. It was primal, run-for-your-life, Freddy Krueger type fear. The kind where your hands shake uncontrollably and your mouth turns into the Saharan desert. 

The funny thing is that people often comment on how comfortable I am as a public speaker. Little do they know that what they perceive as innate talent or skill is actually the result of countless hours of facing my demons, pushing myself, practicing, studying, embarassing myself, and daring to try again.

Like The King's Speech shows, it's okay to be afraid. But it's not okay to let that fear limit what you can become.

Just look at at what great people like Richard Branson or Temple Grandin have been able to accomplish despite very serious limitations. They've had the courage to push themselves to do more, and in doing so have changed the world.

You can do it too.

But when in doubt, you'd do well to recall the words of another great contemporary of George VI: "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

No comments:

Post a Comment